Acid reflux treatment options vary widely depending on the severity and symptoms of the disease. Currently, however, there are three methods of treating the acid reflux symptoms of GORD:
1. Lifestyle Changes
Recommended as the first stage of treatment and can be effective where reflux is infrequent or mild. Include:
- Losing weight
- Stopping smoking
- Diet choices – eg avoiding spicy foods, alcohol, coffee and chocolate
- Eating habits – eg smaller meals, remaining upright after meals, not eating before bed
- Sleeping with the head of the mattress elevated
2. Medication for Acid Reflux
Medications used to treat GORD fall into three categories:
- Antacids – neutralise acid
- H2 Blockers – prevent acid production
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI’s) – suppress acid secretion
3. GERD / GORD Surgery
For patients with moderate to severe reflux symptoms that cannot be relieved by lifestyle or medication treatment.
Until recently, anti-reflux surgery has been limited to the Nissen Fundoplication procedure which has a number of disadvantages for the patient. The introduction of the NEW LINXTM Reflux Surgery device is an exciting step forward in surgical care for reflux.